Floods & Mould In Your Home

HomeThe Mould BlogMould RemovalFloods & Mould In Your Home
June 17, 2013 in Mould Removal

A home that has been exposed to severe water damage or flooding is the ideal environment for mould growth. Unless acted on quickly and correctly it could mean the difference between some of your house being salvageable or not.

It only takes mould 1-2 days to start to proliferate in the right conditions, which is anywhere there are mould spores present as well as moisture and a food source. When returning to your house after flooding it is essential to get it cleaned up and dried out as quickly as possible to either prevent this mould growth or minimise it from spreading further.

Ensure you wear protective clothing before entering the house. This includes clothes which can be disposed of or easily washed, good quality rubber gloves and safety goggles. This stops any mould present coming into contact with your skin, especially on your hands, nails or eyes. If you are susceptible to respiratory conditions, it would also be a good idea to wear a dust mask or disposable respirator which is able to stop microscopic spores and bacteria from being breathed in.

If you have not been able to enter into your home for several days, you may be able to see or smell the mould growth already taking hold. These are areas which can obviously be targeted for mould removal; however it is best to treat all items as if they have been exposed, so the mould doesn’t pop up in a few days after you think you have removed it all. 

Drying your house out can be done by opening all doors and windows and using fans is possible. The use of air conditioning and ventilation units should be avoided until properly cleaned and checked by a qualified technician. These units are the perfect environment for mould and bacterial growth during a flood and if used when not properly cleaned may result in mould spores being distributed to unaffected areas or being inhaled.

All porous items which have been affected by the water and cannot be cleaned easily such as, carpet, mattresses and ceiling insulation should be removed and disposed of correctly. Any porous items which can be washed in your machine should be done with an anti-bacterial washing product available from your local supermarket. This includes things like clothes, soft toys and linen. If you are unsure of this, take them to a professional cleaner or dispose of them. Ensure these are completely dried in the sunlight before bringing them back into your home and stored. Any non-porous things like glassware, crockery and some plastics can be washed in hot water with a good quality disinfectant. If you are using a dishwasher, make sure it is cleaned and disinfected first by running it through a full hot cycle while empty.

If there is no sign or only a very small amount of mould present on hard surfaces such as walls, windows and floors, these can be cleaned with a good quality household cleaning agent containing disinfectant and anti-bacterial solution. Remember to be careful not to cross contaminate any surfaces which may contain mould. If there is a significant amount of mould present, it is best to call in a professional mould removal business that can ensure it is removed correctly without further damage or health risks.

The drying out of wet building materials may take a long time. Be patient and wait until everything is completely cleaned and dried before moving and old or new items back into you house. Be sure to keep an eye out for further signs of moisture or mould growth, particularly in those areas where it has been present.

If your property has experienced a large amount of water damage or a flood and is located in the Sydney, Central Coast or Newcastle areas contact the professionals at Mould Removal today on 0408 681034 or email info@mouldremoval.net.au for an obligation free quote to rid your property of potential health problems.